It looks like little trees and it may be fun to play with, but it is also a food that should be consumed on a regular basis. If it is not one of your favorite foods maybe you should find ways to start bringing it to the top of your list. Here are some reason that broccoli should be a kitchen staple in your home.
1. Broccoli improves immunity. It is high in Vitamin C and helps fight infection.
2. Broccoli helps prevent cancer. It can detoxify the body and has cancer preventing properties.
3. Broccoli helps fight depression. It is a good source of mood-boosting Vitamin B folate.
4. Broccoli enhances bone health. It contains calcium and Vitamin K which help prevent osteoporosis.
5. Broccoli helps maintain a healthy nervous system. It is rich in potassium which stabilizes blood pressure and aids in a healthy nervous system and brain function.
6. Broccoli may help prevent cardiovascular disease. Vitamin B6 and folate protect against heart disease and stroke.
7. Broccoli improves digestion. Its high fiber helps with digestion and prevents constipation.
8. Broccoli helps fight vision loss and repair skin damage. It contains lutein and Vitamin A, important for eye health and glucoraphanin which helps repair damage to skin from sun exposure.
Last night I threw together a dinner from what was in the refrigerator and made sure I put in some broccoli. Here is my Vegetable Chickpea Curry.
Recipe (sort of…..I didn’t measure anything….just threw it all together)
Brown rice, Chickpeas, 2 small Zucchinis, 1/2 Red Onion, Broccoli, Garlic, Spinach (chopped), Walnuts, Red Curry Paste, Coconut Milk, dash of Liquid Aminos (like soy sauce but healthier), Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste.
Enjoy…..and go get some broccoli!