By: Diana Ross, E-RYT 500, Co-Founder Breast Cancer Yoga.
The benefits of a breathing practice is a healing process for breast cancer and it will help in relaxing your body tensions while giving time for the mind to consciously rest. This often induces deep relaxation and restfulness. The deeper the tensions of mind and body the greater overall effect on the healing. Breathing is also key to decreasing mind tensions and to expand heart opening. Please use yoga props or house items, like pillows and blankets. This prop support will help in comfort and allow for this relaxation during your breathing practice to occur. Remember too, that good thoughts produce good reactions. Be open to experience yoga and the positive flow of life energy that comes through the practice.
When starting your breathing practice make sure it is simple and easy as possible so a positive tone for each day is encouraged and then re-enforced. Set yourself up for success. I have included the following steps to start an easy gentle breathing practice.
Start a Breathing Practice with these tips.
- Start with 5 or 10 minutes per day, and gradually increased up to one hour.
- Never force the breath, instead allow the natural flow of the breath in and out.
- Cultivate a slow and even breathing pattern.
- Once in the practice, begin to lengthen the inhalation and exhalation, allowing for a small pause or “holding” of the breath at the top of an inhalation and/or at base of an exhalation.
- Find a place that is quiet and airy; a place where nothing can distract you.
- Wear comfortable, loose clothing.
- Find a time of the day where you can establish a rhythm or routine and then try to stick with it. This will build a strong discipline.
- Your mouth should be clean and fresh with the stomach empty.
Remember the breath is the “cosmic gas station” so fill up. Namaste’
Diana Ross, ERYT, CYT
About Diana Ross: E-RYT 500 restorative yoga teacher, survivor that caresand founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Diana is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at email@example.com if you have questions.